I’m always looking for ways to sneak in more veggies. Riced cauliflower is an excellent choice in place of rice, for so many reasons. It’s my new favorite! Honestly, I didn’t use it until now, because it has only recently become available in frozen packaged form and I couldn’t be bothered to get the food processor out of its cave.
I love that this is a frozen product, because I can always have it on hand. It takes very little time (5-8 mins) to cook from frozen, because it’s so finely chopped. The texture is awesome and it offers more nutrients than white rice. It’s also lower in carbohydrates. I purchased mine from Trader Joes, but you can certainly be more cost effective by making your own in the food processor. You can make a bunch an freeze in in zip lock bags, just like what you buy at the store. See HERE if you’re interested in doing that.
In our house, we usually have leftover chicken from either the grill or a roaster. I’m sure this would also be amazing with some ham in it. You could certainly make this a vegetarian dish as well. I suggest adding some mushrooms (cook them first, in place of chicken) and a few eggs that have been beaten near the end, to give it an authentic fried rice feel.
Chicken Stir Fried “Rice”
- 2 Tbs avocado or olive oil
- 1 bag of frozen cauliflower rice
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 an onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 cups cooked and chopped chicken
- almost a 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce or gluten free tamari
- 2 Tbs coconut aminos (sold near the soy sauce)
- 1 Tbs toasted sesame oil (keep in the fridge)
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Add the oil to a large pan and heat on medium. Add diced onion and bell pepper. Cook for 3 mins
- Add the diced garlic and saute for another minute
- Add the bag of riced cauliflower and turn the heat to medium high. Cook for 5 mins
- Add the diced chicken, soy sauce and coconut aminos and continue cooking for 2-3 mins
- Turn off the heat and add the sesame oil. Stir everything well and add red pepper flakes if you like it spicy