I’ve been making this green shake for my son, Liam for the past few months and he loves it! Shakes are great for kids and adults alike, because you can sneak things in that otherwise wouldn’t get past their/ your lips. My mother-in-law is also a fan of this type of shake, because it easily replaces her daily bagel habit, with fresh fruits and veggies.
Liam won’t eat yogurt, milk or leafy green things, so this shake hides all of those! Bananas and cinnamon are great for hiding flavors.
There are many options for including protein in this shake. The one you chose will depend on your protein needs, taste and dietary preferences. If you’re using this as a meal replacement shake, you might aim to use 1/2 to a whole scoop of protein powder, or a 1/2 cup greek yogurt. If using as a snack, you might be fine to do less or omit those ingredients.
Here are some of the protein options I mix and match with:
- Non-dairy almond milk based, Kite Hill greek unsweetened yogurt
- Regular plain, organic yogurt (Greek if I want more protein)
- Collagen peptides. Find at Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s. I like this one
- Moss Nutrition’s unflavored whey protein, or another good quality whey protein
- Moss Nutrition’s vanilla pea protein or Sun Warrior protein powder
- Hemp seeds
Here is the shake exactly how I make it:
- 1/2 or small whole banana. Preferably frozen, if not, add a few ice cubes.
- 1 handful of fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt or 1/4 cup keifer
- 1-2 Tbs hemp seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (estimated) raw whole milk or almond milk if no regular milk
If you’re looking for a new, easy meal replacement or snack idea, give this a try! You could also swap some ingredients for ground flax seed, almond butter, avocado, etc.