I have been obsessed with this recipe since last summer. Watch out, this makes ALOT of slaw. That’s one super awesome thing about cabbage- it’s cheap and it feeds an army!
I love using purple cabbage, but you can use green also. I don’t recommend the softer napa cabbage for this.
Tangy Citrus Slaw with Bacon
- 1 small to medium head of cabbage
- 4 large carrots
- 4 apples
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1/2- 3/4 pound of bacon (I like Applegate Farms brand)
For the dressing:
- 1 large package of guacamole (I like the Trader Joes one, or Wholly Guacamole, which you can find in Stop and Shop or Big Y. Freezes well, also)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 limes (I use this nifty gadget) —–>
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 and place your bacon on a sheet tray. Bake for 12 mins until crispy. Careful not to burn!
- Cut your cabbage in quarters, and then slice thin. Find a big bowl to put everything in.
- Use a food processor to shred the 4 carrots and 4 apples. Add to cabbage
- Chop the cilantro and add to slaw
- Chop the bacon and add to slaw
- Whiz all ingredients for the sauce, in a blender or Magic Bullet
- Add sauce and toss to coat